Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Bride's Ride....


I was recently conferred the title of “Wife” amidst a huge applauding gathering in silk, jasmine and mustachio twirling . It was all a mixture of emotions then as I sat there on my dad’s lap popping my neck out for the thread I had long waited for. I clenched my fists real tight. Trust me my fingers would have fallen off if I hadn’t. I felt like an earthquake in my hands which was a seismic marvel of some 15.765 + for sure. Everything inside just shook. A wave swept from head to toe.It was a sense of blankness and fullness. Something like what he was to me. A state of nothing to everything.
All the family members crowded around. It was to happen at 10:05 sharp. Not a minute haywire. Excitement rolled as I felt a whiff of life in front of me. It was like an egg hatching-From its secure shell out to face life a totally new world .And then the priest gave the go ahead.I don’t know what happened in the next 60 seconds.I felt I had dissolved. Just dissolved into something…..

Something I later realized was called the union of souls in a marriage.

Phuff it was over and there I was his now.

That moment was a moment of multiple transitions at one shot.
........ At one shot, I was no longer Miss! Mrs you see.
........I was no longer a “young” girl. I was still 25 but now I was a “grown up”.
........It was funny when people around said “She is a family woman now”. I was like “Sorry? I thought my parents were part of my family too!!”
........I was suddenly supposed to be coy, quiet, head bent all the time (no it was eitherways bent due to the weight of the 8 kilos of garlands), Compulsarily!
........I was just not supposed to address the guy whom I had grown up with for a quarter of my life by name, when all I knew to call him was by his name and by other names of god’s creations from the animal planet!
........I graduated from being called “akka” to “auntie”.(grrr!)

Oh but I loved it! That feeling still stays fresh and comes alive everytime I think of it. It was a moment of complete surrender,one of persistence for the rest of the life..
Well, like they say…Be there to know it… It was a true ride from the head to the heart to the soul….
Ah... and yeah..thats the pic which says it all...

1 comment:

Amitha aka Mini said...

Hey Kala, I'm Amitha here ( From BMSCE, throwball team...we played in the christ college cup..). Read your Blog..was so tempted to comment cause in a few months time that's how i'm going to be like:). Exactly the same..the nine yards red sari, loads of flowers,garlands not mention, a turmoil of emotions within and of course the big smile to go with.
Well congrats on the Mrs status!!!:)