Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Heroes of the True kind....

My fingers tremble as I type this out.Tremble out of a mixed bag of emotions.Of emotion, of fear, of overwhelming joy,of something so powerful that I call affection.

I had to stay up late at work today to finish up some never ending work. It was almost 11 when I reached home.I stepped out of the Office cab.I closed the door with my usual smiles.Little did I know that the next 5 minutes were going to shake me up.I picked up my bag ,adjusted my dupatta to make sure it didnt sweep the road.It was a chilly day in Bangalore and I turned around from the vehicle.Home sweet home, I saw it about 10 houses away.My mom had left the portico light on.I knew she hadnt slept yet and was waiting at the window for me.I smiled at the thought of being taken care of.
I moved the first step.From nowhwere I suddenly heard a swoosh. Faster than lightning. Before I knew what was happening I saw it. I was being attacked by Bangalore's most dangerous- The street dogs. 2 dogs ran towards me from a packof them.I knew I was going to be helpless.I just stood there.I gripped the dupatta over my head and stood firm.Running was not an option.Before I knew it, i heard an entire pack of them coming.I had no choice.I stood still. In fear and prayer.

And then god appeared.2 other stray dogs who "belonged" to our street jumped in from no where and stood right in front of me to confront my "attackers".I stood still.This time in surprise.

Before I knew it, these 2 heroes growled the pack away. it was about a minute.I thought it was over and turned around again, when the villians came back.More ferocious this time.I didnt know where what to do.BY this time, my cab driver had seen some swift movements in his rear mirror as he drove away.He knew it was this. He jumped out and came forward to help. I just shouted at him to get back into the car. He could have been attacked too.Besides, it could just panic the dogs further.He couldnt hear. I just kept shouting , standing right there. He just stopped where he was. The villians were really close this time.Completely surrounding me.My heroes growled their loudest possibly, and actuallly jumped on the most ferocious dog of the lot.They fought and fought until the villians had got their message.I stood there...in gratitude.

The fight was one I have never seen before.After that my 2 heroes, growled into the air.It sounded like the victory shout I had seen in the Jungle book cartoon when I was a kid.By now, tears were rolling down.Now it was just me and my heroes on the road. I turned around and started walking.I walked with my head held high.On either side of me was my convoy.Each of the dogs walked one either side with me, till I reached my gate.Then they just walked back like saying "Dont worry , we are here". I came in and locked my gate. I stood there- overwhelmed with the love that was shown. It would have been a different story altogether if it was not for them.
And to tell you, I have not even for once fed those hero dogs or ever explicitly done them favors.All I would do is smile at them when I would see them once in a bluemoon...And I thought they never understood that smile of mine!
I came up and wrote this.Am sure they understood my gratitude too....

For the heroes that they had been to me, Damn! I wish they could sign my autograph book!

7 comments:

King Bell said...

thank god the dogs didnt bite you.
therwise they wud have died

Balanarayan NT said...

Hi
I am from Bangalore Mirror, I found this post of yours very interesting. I wanted to know if I could use this post for blog talk section in our paper. please do mail me your permission to nt.balanarayan at gmail.com if you are okay with it.

Santosh said...

Read this on todays bangalore mirror, Scary experience but so well narrated..

you will get famous now :-) and can expect an awards ceremony like you've written in one of your earlier blogs :-)

Cheers~
Santoz.

Sreekala said...

Sure Bala! i hope it changes the cruel perceptions people have against stray dogs!! I mean , they shouldnt be onesided!

Thanks Santoz! :)

glsandeep said...

ooooowwwwwhhh.....

i cant believe its really true....but wat to do i have to believe....

orelse i know u will become real villain for me...... ;-)

Xpecting more n more frm u...

Keep rocking Sree

Unknown said...

good one!!!! i too have 2 street dogs.. ramu and gonda:D

Karpagavalli said...

Totally fell in love with your style of writing! could not stop telling friends about this post of yours! Amazing!!! :) very nicely narrated!!!
And wow! It came in Bangalore mirror?! Fantastic! :)