Sunday, September 13, 2009

A true experience of Karma Yoga

The last few days have been compellingly hectic and by yesterday I was drained out physically and emotionally. I had reached a tipping point and jumped into a circle of emotions. And then something happened which totally changed everything...
It was a done Sunday.About 9 in the night.I had to make a few calls and was clinging onto my phone when I heard a gleeful voice outside" Hello, I am from Global eastern company....". I opened the door thinking it was outside my house. I saw that teh person was at my neighbours door. I knew his next destination was my door, yet I shut the door assuming he will just go away. I was in a space and didnt want to be disturbed.

He knocked.I opened and teh same words rung again " Hello, I am from Global Eatern compay and I am doing a survey on Health supplements.Can you please help me with a survey.".There was something i him. He was plump and totally tired yet he had teh most magnetic smile I have seen in teh last few years. He said "It will take you about 30 mins to do this. Can you spare me that time.

Me:. "actually, I was just busy with some calls.Do you have some form online that I can fill"
He: "So sorry to disturb.No problem. can I come back later"
Me: longggggggggg pause.Somehow didnt feel liek making him run around. Dunno why. " I take supradyn, nothing else.. so wont be elpful for you..."
He: Same continued gleeful smile.
Me: "uh ok, lets do it now. I will do my other work later"
He: The gleeful smile just gets bigger." Really really???? You mean we can do it now? Thank you so much!!!!"
Me: "Nevr mid. Its ok. Pls come in.I was in 2 minds to let him in. You know teh usual stuff." Its night, was staying alone.How do i trust to let a stranger in?".Just said Jai GUurdev and invited him.

He was sweating profusely and was very evidently tired. I asked him to sit down and put on the fan for him.He again thanked me like I had done him a big favor.

I started with teh survey and as he said it took me about 30 mins.

Half way through I asked him how many people had responded to this today and he replied saying that I was teh 5th today and he had started work at 2 in teh afternoon.

7 hours and I was just the 5th!!!Yet that smile.... I ran short of words...

Me:" May be if it was shorter, more people would have done it"
He: " Ya lah! Actually people are very kind.Lot of tehm wanted to help me but 30 mins is too long. And I dont find it fair to lie to them that it is only 10 mins because I know for sure it will stretch beyond that".

I was simply amazed at his honesty. Anyways he finished and left handing over a 10$ complementary voucher. I took it and was about to close to the door when what I saw changed what I was.

He was disabled with 1 leg. All thsi while, I had no clue about it.

A mixed bag of emotions came in. On one side I was very happy that I had not turned him away.On another I was like"why god?". Another , I felt grateful I had been blessed with all my limbs intact.I threw my garbage in my head out of teh door. I had no right itself to even blame that I was drained, had a tiring job, it was hot...blah blah.

This person name was David and I believe he came as a true messenger of god.It was a paper survey.He could have easily filled the forms himself with some random names and number and submitted it to his boss.He could lied to people and got them to do it saying it was just 15 mins.

As i watched him walk away I knew a lot had changed in me. I had dedicated 30 mins of that time for seva. Real seva happened. I realised how 30 misn of my time can actually make such a big diff in someone's life.It could be a meal, money for your family , a livelihood and above all a difnity they would have earned.
I smiled in thourough admiration as I saw him trot away. His way of walking now looked like a dance to me where he gleefully went to teh next door and said 'Hello, I am from Global eastern...Could you help me with a survey on Health supplements".

Yesterday morning I had told My class about Karma Yoga. David showed me what it was..... Bless you!
Very often we get so caught up in our lives that we fail to see anything beyond it.And it is when we have such a small perception of life, that our head gets cooked because we find things right and wrong.Just a sliht shift in it to include more people in your life and to make your life useful for others can make you realise that your "problems" are nothing and its is so easy to smile!


4 comments:

Rajesh Goli said...

Wow!

Ram said...

thts really beautiful,
Totally with you on your last para

anshul said...

Very inspiring... Thanks for sharing.

Ajay said...

Thanks for sharing this.

I narrate a story which I had read from a book(forgot the name)

Optimist[O]: Are you poor?
Pessimist[P]Yes, I'm poor.

[O]:OK, can you give me your right leg for 10,000 rupees?
[P]:No.

[O]:10 lakhs?
[P]:No.

[O]:1 crore?
[P]:No.

[O]:So you have 1 crore worth body part. So, why do you say you are poor?
[P turned to O]:I agree, I'm not poor. I'm rich. Thanks God.

Regards,
Ajay